Here are my list files:
- @agenda_dad.txt - Stuff to do next time I see my Dad.
- @agenda_teri.txt - Stuff to do next time I see Teri (I have several of these agenda files).
- @buy.txt - Stuff I need to buy from a brick-and-mortar store.
- @calls.txt - Telephone calls to make.
- @home.txt - Things I can do at home.
- @inbox.txt - This is my electronic "IN" box. I try to empty it everyday.
- @work.txt - Things I need to do at work.
- @offline.txt - Stuff I can do on my PowerBook when I don't have internet access.
- @online.txt - Stuff for which I need an internet connection.
- @saw.txt - Stuff I can do to improve myself ("Sharpening the saw").
- @waiting.txt - Tasks that are waiting on other people.
- Projects.txt - A list of all the multi-action things I need to do.
- Someday.txt - A deferred list of stuff that I mighnt get to... someday.
- Movies_to_watch.txt - Yep, just like it says. Handy in printed form.
- Books_to_read.txt - More obvious file-naming.
- Tickler.txt - an electronic tickler file-- there are headings which correspond to each of the 43 folders. I check this file at the same time I check the physical tickler file.
Update: I have now defined my e-mail folders, and they are much simpler than my action lists. I followed someone's advice at 43 Folders (I just went looking for the comment, but couldn't ffind it-- there's a LOT of material being added quickly to Merlin's site) and turned off periodic mail retrieval. Now, I fetch e-mails on demand only. No more interruptions from Mail.app!
Everything comes into the INBOX (naturally) when I tell MAIL to "Get Mail", and I then do one of the following with each message:
- DELETE it.
- If it's junk but Mail.app failed to flag it, I hit the JUNK button.
- If it requires action, I use Quicksilver to append the action to my @inbox.txt file and move the e-mail message to the @ACTIONS folder.
- If I need or want to read it for informative reasons later, I move it to the @READ_LATER folder.
- If it requires no action but I want to keep it, I move it to the @REFERENCE folder.
- If I only want to keep something for a few weeks (e.g. coupons that expire), I move it to @SAVE_FOR_NOW.
Post a Comment